04 December 2008

Oh, how I love to shop (en Uruguay)!

So this post will be a little backwards as far as the timeline.
We went shopping today and my first 2 purchases were a bigger spanish/english dictionary and a small calculator. I have found that I can make purchases and find what I need with very little spanish, but I have no clue what people are really saying to me. For all I know they have found a new word for gringa...but they are very helpful none-the-less.

The mall is very much like the ones we are familiar with, but some of the store names don´t quite translate...

This is a men´s store. This isn´t a spanish word. The spanish word for this is tetas. I just thought it was pretty funny.

We had a cortado, which is coffee with lots of flavored milk (and it is to die for), at the McCafe. No burgers, fries or milkshakes, just coffees and pastries. It´s the Starbucks of Uruguay.

Leo´s Tio and I enjoying our Cortado.

Last night we went to a Parrilla, which is a barbecue restaurant. Not barbecue like with sauce, but grilled on a barbecue. They have steaks (asado) and sausages (chorizo). Now, I have had both of these at home prepared they way they do in Uruguay, but the meat itself is unlike anything I have had before. Last night I ate an entire months serving of red meat in one sitting!



But before our late night snack, we watched Leo´s cousin´s daughter (la hija de Leo Prima) graduate from her preschool. It was very cute and she was very shy. The amazing part of the whole experience was how many family members came to see. The hall was packed with parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents (and a couple of Americano´s).


After the graduation we met with Leo´s cousin, Pamela and her family. I made a new friend, Federica. We learned how to count in each other´s language and we practice our english and spanish. It was a lot of fun and I can´t wait to spend more time with them.



Tonight we off to dinner with Leo´s cousin, Fernando.

More tomorrow.

We miss you all, but not enough to come back just yet. :)

Heaps of love and con mucho amor,

Johanna and Leo.

No comments: